Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tikka Masala In The Kitchen



This weeks Tikka Masala wasn't too different - I've made indian before (but never like this!). When I first started out in the kitchen it was my favourite meal - meat, sauce and rice. Perfect. No veges, no funny bits. I knew what to expect and I got it. Unfortunately, I've only ever made indian out of a bottle. Fry up some chicken, dump in the sauce, heat it up and serve. 

I branched out a little from that with this dish. I added a curry paste, coriander (!), diced tomatoes and coconut milk. So exotic! This time around instead of cooking the meat right through and adding the sauce I prepared the sauce, chucked in the meat and then finished off the sauce. I allowed it to simmer for 20 more minutes with the chicken cooking slowly inside the sauce. The meat was so deliciously tender. I've never made curry like that before and I'll definitely be doing it like that from now on. 

I also made popadums! I love them, so salty and crunchy. Yum yum pigs bum! They were pretty cheap ($3 for a box of ten) I just brushed them in oil and chucked them in the microwave for 40 seconds. You can deep fry them, but I didn't have enough oil for that. A nice fancy touch if you're trying to impress some friends or score some wife points from the husband (no such luck this time around I'm afraid)

This year I'm trying to learn more about the food in my kitchen. Each week I'm making a new recipe and this one was taken from Jaime Olivers Ministry of Food (with a few short cuts here and there). Click here to see what else is In My Kitchen

2 comments:

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover