Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm A Believer - A Valentines Special

image from my husbands Instagram account. Surprise hearts in his lunch!

A wee while ago I wasn't a believer. As the doors opened for another day on the job I stood at the top of the escalator seething as I watched what seemed like 50 delivery men take the ride up turning their heads from side to side looking for the direction that they are headed. Lingerie? Fashion Accessories? Shoes? Teen Fashion? Where was the recipient located?

50 men delivered colourful bouquets of blooms to expectant sales assistants. I wasn't a believer and a part of me was devastated.

I hated it; Chocolates, the hearts and the six dollar cards all seemed so pretentious. Yet a part of me stood waiting, hoping for a bouquet to be placed in my eager hands. I craved some sort of outward symbol for people to know that I was loved. I wanted to know that I was loved. Pretentious, I know.

Fast forward, I now love modern Valentines Day. Actually, I love most holidays; I'm always looking for a reason to celebrate something. Husband and I don't do big presents - financially we don't have the money for them and emotionally we don't need them to prove our love to one an other (although they are lovely and do excellent things to boost ones self!). I don't need a huge bouquet of flowers, I never expect one and I dont want a six-dollar-card! I just want recognition. That's all. Perhaps some kind words? Perhaps an extra hug? Maybe a hand written note? Just a symbol to say "I love you and I have never stopped loving you" (maybe some lolly hearts in a lunch)

And hey, If we need a particular day of the year to remind ourselves to do that then thats fine with me. I would hope that our relationships continue on like this every single day but sometimes we just need a reminder and a spark to express how we feel about each other amongst our mundane everyday lives.

Happy Valentines Day my lovelies. I hope its filled with acknowledgement and recognition for the beauty you add to someone elses life :)

2 comments:

  1. I think V-Day is fun, it's just a good way to spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww, I'm with you on the bunch of flowers, I've only had them once delivered to me at work, but it was awesome and memorable that once. I ironed all my husbands shirts-we dont iron as a rule though he loves ironed shirts and so he is absolutely over the moon!

    ReplyDelete

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover