Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Still Rippilin'


My Ripple Blanket is still going strong. I'm using Lucys pattern from her blog and its crazy easy. I'm a serious newbie crochet'er and I have only made one mistake so far. It took me 3 minutes to learn (I watched youtube clips for each of the stitches) so if I can do it you can too! Take up crocheting tomorrow (after you get yourself a hook and yarn!)

The only downside is its crazy repetitive so its hard to stay inspired. I hope to have it finished in the next few weeks. At this rate I'm averaging about one row a day. One night i'll do five, then I wont pick it up for days on end. I must combat this!

I used cheap acrylic yarn and some of them are really soft (the dark pink, purple and green) but the others are very rough (the blue, light pink and yellow). I think I thought about this when I was choosing the colours but I decided to ignore my thoughts. Now i'm paying for it. It results in different textures and probably wouldn't be suitable for a soft baby blanket. It may just have to be a "to look at" one, or one for my lap :)

Mostly, its just really exciting to be making something for us to keep, rather than to sell on. I realised I've never actually made anything (that worked out) for myself or our family. YAY!

2 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I chuckled at your daily average of 1 row ... doing 5 in 1 day. There is a problem with different textured yarns if you have to wash the blanket it will appear different later. But hey its great and you've done so well. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely blanket! you may want to use it for a tummy time blanket for baby? sometimes it's not worth using nice woolen blankets when they may end up covered in baby sick!

    Thank for your lovely comment also, I had originally wanted to do a pair of deer, but since it has taken so long just to finish the stag (about a year, I think he will have to remain a bachelor for a little while yet ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover