Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Third Birthday Dress


A new tradition, passed on by my friend Georgia, who had Birthday Dresses throughout her childhood. (side thought: perhaps I should also include myself in this tradition??)

This is Camilla's "purple and green" dress (as requested) for her third birthday at the end of August. 

This is my third time using the Savannah Party Dress pattern, the first two times were for the girls Dedication Dresses (and Katies birthday dress). 

I omitted the capped sleeves, which made it muuuuch easier and faster to sew. I still haven't nailed the middle pleating, getting them to line up perfectly so they meet at the seam. Next time I make this (there will definitely be a next time), I will measure out my seam allowance when I'm making the pleats. Lesson learnt. Any other tips on achieving pleating perfection?

It fits well, with heaps of room to grow, and it was so quick and easy to do. I'm really enjoying making my girls cute unique things to wear. 

What are your birthday traditions in your family?



3 comments:

  1. What a pretty frock :-). For pleats measure, pin, tack, repeat until you are happy, then stitch. Sometimes not only the pleats themselves, but also onto the bodice.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute! Well done you Sophie - no doubt she is stoked! Gorgeous fabric too :) We have a big 5th birthday party but every birthday has a special cake ;)

    ReplyDelete

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover