Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kids Table DIY



Last winter we bought this colourful table and chair set from TradeMe for $25. I had high hopes of turning it into something that would come from Mocka, a beautiful white set of furniture, but had no idea how to do it. 

As a result, the whole process has taken much longer than it needed to, but I am thrilled with the end result, 9 months later!


(BEFORE)

We borrowed an electric sander from MrMoos work and went to town on it one weekend. MrMoo was much better at using the tool than I was so he ended up doing most of the sanding, and redoing the parts that I had done that weren't good enough. Apparently an attention to detail isn't my strongest point. 

I applied 3 coats of undercoat and one of top coat and called it a day, after about 6 months, and gave it to Milla for Christmas, along with some crayons and colouring in books.

I have since repainted it with a high-gloss enamel paint because I really wanted it to be shiny and the previous paint wasn't. Because of that food was sticking to the table and foot prints were all over the chairs that I just couldn't budge.


The glossy enamel looks fab and I often give it a little love-rub when I walk past it to admire my work! 


(AFTER)

Milla loves her table, she can now get up and down from it with confidence and will draw and eat at it throughout the day. It is well used! I'm so glad we did it!


Since finishing the table I've decided I must get on to painting Camillas dresser, which we also bought from TradeMe with the desire to paint it one day. "One Day" being the key word here. 

Also, Deb gave me a delicious tea trolley that I want to use in our lounge to store nappies and other such baby paraphernalia on which needs a coat of paint as well - I've already sanded it!  

Yup, I'm hooked! The trouble is finding an overcast day! 


Here's a bonus pic of Millas favourite buddies right now, Duckie and Sophie the Tiger.  (They say Hi!)


THE DETAILS:
$25, 9 months to complete.
Linking in with Crafty Show & Tell

READ MORE RECENT DIYs:



9 comments:

  1. What a great transformation! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you guys! It looks super styley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job you two! It looks great! I hear you on attention to detail not being my strong point - I marvel at the jobs my perfectionist-husband does so much better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous blog... so glad to have found you... Love the transformation

    ReplyDelete
  5. White is really beautiful. The table and chairs look better than the original ones. Such a nice transformation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome work. I love that feeling of joy when you walk past a little project in your house. I totally have that too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. Can't go wrong with white. Glad your girl loves it. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this, white paint is wonderful isn't it : )

    ReplyDelete

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover