Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Son The Saviour - Book Review


A friend introduced me to this work of fiction this week. It is a story of Jesus and the journey that His mother, Mary, takes as she grows in motherhood and as a follower of Christ. It is purely a work of fiction based on biblical events and the author makes that very clear in her opening lines. I was a little sceptical at first, because I have seen first hand people taking books and other peoples opinions as Truth. It was quite plain to me though that this was the authors imagination that formed words on pages and they were a delight to read!

The book was short which is a big plus in my eyes. It skipped between present day Mary and Mary of a previous time however the tenths was not hard to follow. It was very straight forward and provided a sense of "whats going to happen next?" or "how will this link to present day Mary?" which is strange, because I know the biblical story of Mary and Jesus but it seemed like a whole new tale to me.

Aside from the books tale, while reading it I had many revelations as to the biblical account of Jesus. My eyes were opened to many new things that I had never considered before. I realised that most people heard about Jesus through other peoples stories and how out of this world he must have seemed to them. Sometimes I think of Jesus as being too human. He would not have seemed human to his disciples and followers, he was the Son of God. I also realised how absolutely radical Jesus' teaching must have been to his first followers. I have heard the words of Jesus many times and sometimes they become stale in my mind. A new word or a fresh revelation is what gets me excited, when really his first words and commandments are completely radical they should still excite and challenge me.

Over the last few days I have been rereading the gospels with new eyes and ears.

If you are looking for a quick and easy fictitious book to read, why not give this one a go? Thanks to Amy for the lend of it! :)

1 comment:

Wowee! Thanks for leaving a comment :)

Pin It button on image hover